Sell with Confidence
Read More
News

Melbourne City has again attacked a mooted 72-storey residential tower on Southbank, describing it as “oppressive”.

It says Urban Matrix’s 240 metre plans for 54 Clarke Street will cast shadows on public spaces and dominate the view of neighbouring buildings.

”The sense of containment would be substantial and oppressive, particularly for dwellings at the lower levels,” a council report viewed by Fairfax Media says.

The building is being reviewed by the state government after planning control changes nullified a previous approval.

BKK Architects director Simon Knott says the tower will become an icon for those travelling on the West Gate Freeway.

”Because it twists as you move around that bend, the whole building will twist and turn. It’s almost like the building is alive,” he told Fairfax Media.

He says south-facing apartments in the neighbouring building would keep their views, including of the Royal Botanic Gardens.

”The building will sit down one side of the view – it’s anything but oppressive.”

Units in the previously approved designs started from $340,000 for one bedroom and from $400,000 for two bedrooms.

In February Robert Doyle said the building was more than 100 metres taller than preferred by the council.

The 239 square metre site is the former premises of a motor repair firm.

http://www.propertyobserver.com.au/victoria/melbourne-council-attacks-240-metre-southbank-development/2013090964902

Up to Date

Latest News

  • How to renovate your bathroom in 3 simple steps

    Ready for a bathroom renovation but not sure where to start? Check out these tips from Simon Vos, one-time winner of The Block, and his wife Ashley. The Block Glasshouse winners Simon and Shannon Vos are known for their renovating prowess. Now Simon and his partner Ash are making over their entire Coffs … Read more

    Read Full Post

  • Ray White keeps Melbourne auctions online despite easing restrictions

    One of the nation’s largest real estate agencies is sticking with online auctions in Melbourne, despite the state government clearing in-person bidding to resume. On Sunday, Premier Daniel Andrews revived outdoor auctions for the first time since July 8, with just 10 people plus the minimum required staff allowed to attend. But Ray … Read more

    Read Full Post